Friday 10 April 2009

This is the back of the viola I am currently making. It is made
from sycamore I bought in 1978. I have two more pieces left. It is the same wood, back, front and sides as a similar viola I made in 2003, that has been in continuous professional use ever since.
The next stage is to put in the double purfling with the typical Gasparo da Salo clover leaf patterns. There are pictures of a finished Gasparo da Salo viola on my website, www.wardviolins.com.



The purfling is hand made in the workshop from pear wood and willow. These are the basic tools for pufling: a double bladed marking tool to mark the inner and outer groove lines, a scalpel to deepen the groove lines to the correct depth, and a purfling chisel to remove the wood from the groove ready to insert the purfling. Many people do not realise the purling is inlaid.

No comments:

Post a Comment