Tuesday 29 January 2013

This is my viola no. 103. It is the first one I have made with a Poplar back.  The back has a beautiful light, irregular figure, with matching sides, and the front is of Alpine Spruce with marked Hazel figuring.  The whole appearance is stunning.



The viola was finished in December, and sold to a very happy new owner in early January.

The model for the viola is taken from a Gasparo da Salo design, and I have kept the original eccentric outline.  Like almost all Italian instruments, the treble side shoulder is slightly less curved then the bass side. It is not known why this is the case, but it does help with playing in the upper positions, so could well be the reason for the practice. Back length 16 Inches, 406 mm.

I am now making a similar viola, no 105, from matching wood from the same trees, which should be available in February.  I will post photos in another blog.

Viola no 104 is a Gasparo da Salo "Kievman" c. 1580 model. It is just finished.  Back length 398mm.

For any further details, please contact me:  ward@wardviolins.com    or  tel : 01763 852 377

5 comments:

  1. For detailed instructions, plans on violinmaking, visit www.luthm.org

    ReplyDelete
  2. i just wanna thank you for sharing your information and your site or blog this is simple but nice article I've ever seen i like it i learn something today...

    Indian Artisan & Arts and Crafts

    ReplyDelete
  3. You got a really useful blog I have been here reading for about an hour. I am a newbie and your success is very much an inspiration for me.

    life size Pig statues for sale & Large Prehistoric Resin Statues For Sale

    ReplyDelete
  4. I would like to thank you for the efforts you have made in writing this article. I am hoping the same best work from you in the future as well. In fact your creative writing abilities has inspired me to start my own Blog Engine blog now. Really the blogging is spreading its wings rapidly. Your write up is a fine example of it

    life size horse statues for sale & fiberglass Dog Statues for sale

    ReplyDelete