Wednesday 20 March 2013





I am now varnishing this new violin. The wood is of the very best quality with the beautiful Bosnian Maple one piece back, and front of old split Alpine Spruce.  The sides have been cut from the back, which was originally a wedge, the sides coming from the thick edge.  The scroll is of similar wood.
The violin is made in the late Guarneri del Gesu style c.1740 - 44.
The instrument is pictured with the ground coating applied. This coating makes the instrument look very reflective and lively when the outer varnish is applied, and helps make the sound of the violin.

This violin should be ready in mid-April 2013.




 I have been very lucky lately to buy some superb wood. This is some of it. The texture, grain structure, figure, and density of this wood is perfect for instrument making.  I have several sets for sale, both in one piece backs and two piece backs. It is three and bit years old. Please contact me if you are interested.
I have a new page on my website, www.wardviolins.com, under the heading "Supplies" where you will find wood and my hand made lake pigments for sale. Do have a look.

1 comment:

  1. For a detailed guide on violin making, including plans, visit makingtheviolin.com

    ReplyDelete