Thursday 2 April 2015


Exhibition: 

I will be at the first "Strad Sunday" on April 12 th 2015, exhibiting my work. Please come along and ask any questions, try the instruments; I will have violins, violas and a cello.  These Sundays are run by the Strad magazine in conjunction with the LSO, at the Barbican, London. The instrument exhibition runs from 10.00 am to 5.30 pm. Admission Free.  There will also be short talks on instruments and instrument making. Please ask if there any aspect of making instruments you would to know about.

This is the wood for my next cello commission. The back is a very beautiful bookmatched piece of the very best best quality Romanian maple. It has a lovely broad figure which will slope gently downwards from the middle joint to the edges as shown here. The back has matching sides and neck block from the same tree, and they will look stunning under the final varnish.  The instrument is being made to a Peter Guarneri of Venice model of 1725. This cello should be delivered to its lucky new owner later this year.







































I am just completing my most recent violin, pictured below. The violin is shown with some ground applied.  While being made on the same mould as the instrument in the previous blog and from the same wood, it is quite individual, as all my instruments.  This will be my violin no. 94.
While not being a "copy", the violin is based on the general principles of the 1743 "Sainton" Guarneri, a late del Gesu, and one of my all time favourite fiddles.









No comments:

Post a Comment